Thursday, July 03, 2008

Happy 4th


I hope everyone has a great 4th of July weekend.

There was a fascinating discussion today on NPR as to what consitutes patriotism or how to define oneself as a patriot.

The simple Websters definition of a patriot is: "one who loves or defends his own country".

Of course life is more nuanced sometimes than a simple defintion, as the discussion on Diane Rheem's show expressed.

I know for me, it's very nuanced. But I can definitely say that I fit under that definition of a Patriot.

I believe in the principles the country was founded on. Living in Virginia for 3 years in Thomas Jefferson's home town gave me a massive appreciation of so many things that happened at the genesis of our country. Plus I learned to greatly admire Jefferson. What a truly fascinating man.

So anyway - Happy 4th! And let's hope for good things for our country's future.

ps - Shando wants me to mention her blog has been updated by Pat: HERE

pss - to read about my encounter with a jerky 20 year old kid read: HERE

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails