Tuesday, May 15, 2007

BANANARAMA


BANANARAMA True Confessions 1999 Re-Issue US Edition
Originally uploaded by yummygjd.

So today I was both very productive and on top of things and regressive. I was working on a paper at some point in the Wilkinson Center and this girl started practicing the piano and it was really good but it was just....loud and distracting somehow. Like I kept thinking too much about what kind of person just plops down in front of like hundreds of people and starts playing like that - and it was just...it was too much to think about. Like I kept thinking about whether she was just this really gifted musician and just practicing because you know, why else do they have a piano there unless it's to be used right? But then it just seemed odd too. Anyway, I ended up putting on my ipod shuffle to drown out the noise while I was writing my paper. Yes, this might seem counterintuitive - why am I listening to noise to drown out noise? But this noise was of my choosing. Every song on my shuffle is a song I love in some way and there is a wide variety of random things on there - I've got Al Green and Stevie Wonder, I've got the Clash and Nirvana, I've got the Fratelli's and Imogen Heap and the Shins and I've got an awful lot of embarassing 80s music on there too. Just when I finished my paper and started walking over to the library to print it Bananarama came on my ipod - and this is one of the things I love about a shuffle - you just never know what you're going to get next. I felt very much like time had stopped and it was 1986 again and I was in college. You know how songs can have that kind of power sometimes?

Anyway, Bananarama totally made my day seem great somehow. I felt very much like I was able to have a "re-do" of what I should have done when I was in college the first time. A moment of brief time travel.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're OK as long as you don't find yourself mousing your hair really big and using huge plastic earrings as counter-weights on your head...oh, yeah, if you find leopard print leggings on your body, go directly to the student health clinic and check yourself in.

robin marie said...

so basically you are one cool mom. not only do you own an ipod shuffle, but you have the shins and the fratellis on it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails