Thursday, February 10, 2011

Stuff I Kinda Love...

So of course, because of valentines, everyone is talking about love lately.

So I was thinking...besides my really awesome children, what do I really love?

There are some feel-good things I love, like doing things with friends, or helping out people in ways that are really gratifying, or learning something new and surprising. I love beauty and good design and stunning imagery. I love an awesome sunset. I mean, these are all the really good things in life. But what about stuff that's maybe stuff you love but you don't think about it that much...

There are a few things that come to mind. Some are almost embarassing, but still, they are just a part of who I am, and things that I love all the same.

1. Independent Films

These have been my life saver this year I swear. In a year that has been super stressful, where I have sometimes just wished I could close my eyes and disappear on command, good films have almost given me the means to do that. You go into this completely dark room (and often, this is something I like to do by myself so that it if I happen to be with someone who doesn't love the film, it doesn't spoil it for me) and you just lose yourself in this other world.

2. The Real Housewives, especially the Beverly Hills Variety...



Okay I know, I'm an easy target on this one. What redeeming quality does this show have? I'm hard pressed to tell you. All I can say is that it's endlessly fascinating to me. It's purely purely entertainment, but I find myself using some of my psychiatric skills while I'm being amused. Really Bravo tv has been another life saver this year. Almost any given night of the week around about 11 pm (after the kids are in bed and I have the house to myself), you can find me on the couch watching my friends the housewives, or Jeff Lewis, or Top Chef, or Tabatha's Salon Takeover, or some other bravo show of the moment. The one thing I've learned with no guy around the house to share the tv control with is that I haven't seen a single episode of Mythbusters or the Worlds Deadliest Catch or Ice Road Truckers or Survivorman all year. The other thing I've learned is that when the tv is on and I am in the room, it's pretty much a steady diet of Bravo or HGTV.

3. Pinterest

What is pinterest? My new internet love. This week my son wrote an email home and this is what he said about missing his laptop computer: I miss like owning my own world in my computer. Its like when you are a kid and you wish you had like a secret box that could hold infinite amount of stuff, like your giant jawbreaker you got from the fair, and your 3 dollars you found on the floor but didn't tell your mom, and your flashlight that you use to read at night past bedtime. A computer fulfills that never ending box childhood dream I had. I can put like endless amount of stuff into it and play with it and then put it back and save it for later. I loved that. And that's exactly what I think of pinterest as. A special little box with all your cool stuff in it, you can take it out and look at it whenever you want. If you don't know what pinterest is, check out my pinterest page here: http://pinterest.com/bandanamom/pins/ (and if you want an invite to pinterest let me know, I have a few left).

4. There are a host of other random things I love too - interesting color combinations, feta cheese, my dogs, bubble baths, the cool and unusual, and a good book. Oh yeah...and of course, John Cusack.

Do you have stuff you kinda love that saves your sanity?

6 comments:

Noelle said...

Uhhhhhhhhhh you forgot diet coke.

Btw I totally want to get involved on my pinterest but I'm a little scared I'll get addicted in the middle of the semester. I promise I'll get on that after Nick's wedding :)

Also, now I kinda wanna write a post themed like this.

Bandanamom said...

You're so right. I did forget the diet coke. It's the one constant thing in my life which makes me happy. As sad as that freaking is.

bandanamom2 said...

Today, xanax might make it on this list as well.

JustJoeP said...

"I love an awesome sunset." - Arizona has no shortage of those, wonderfully.

A note on Diet Coke, I used to be a Diet Coke (and Coke Zero) addict, consuming 6 to 8 a day, serially. The artificial sugar substitutes in DC DROVE my hunger, and compulsory made me open each successive can. The Nexium required to subdue the acid reflux was getting expensive, and the phosphoric acid within the DC leads one to osteoporosis, so I tapered from 6 to 8 a day, down to 4 or 5 a year, drinking organic tea now in moderation.

I'm not preaching that everyone should drop Diet Coke, just stating it can be done, over time, with will power, and you'll feel Much Better once you kick the addiction.

Bandanamom said...

addendum - I would like to add that I also ADORE sunsets. And music. And my wonderful friends, who are all rich and varied and unique and make my life so much better than it would be without them. And you Noelle. Who reminded me of "3 little birds" yesterday, another great piece of music, and always a cure for what ails a person's soul. thank you.

Suzanne Barker said...

So nice to think about the things you love! That is one of the things I love about you, your enthusiasm for things.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails